Proposed Procedures for the October 2, 2019 Senate Meeting
The Senate will meet on October 2, 2019. The Senate Executive Committee plans to propose a procedure motion in order to facilitate an orderly debate throughout the meeting and allow all those who wish to speak an opportunity to do so.
Procedures for Discussion
- Each Senator will be given 2 minutes to speak on each agenda item.
- A Senator may only speak a second time once everyone else has had an opportunity to speak on a particular agenda item.
- Senators may share their 2 minutes with non-Senators.
- Senators may introduce a non-Senator to speak, but may not speak or introduce any additional non-Senators until everyone else has had an opportunity to speak.
Senators who wish to propose an amendment are strongly encouraged to submit proposed amendments to email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, September 30, 2019. This will allow us to share amendments on the materials page in advance and display the amendment on the screen at the meeting. A template for proposed amendments can be found here, and all submitted amendments should include the following:
- Name of the proposer (must be a Senator)
- Page and section where the language appears
- Original Text
- Proposed Text (amendment)
The Senator submitting the amendment must move the amendment on the floor of the Senate meeting during discussion of the appropriate agenda item and the amendment must be seconded by another Senator.
The Senate will consider additional amendments brought directly to the meeting after the pre-submitted amendments, as time allows. To propose an amendment at the meeting, please email the text of the amendment to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Procedures for Amendments:
- PCC proposals cannot be amended on the Senate floor unless the amendment is submitted to the Senate Office 48 hours in advance (see 6.8.d of the Senate Bylaws)
- Only recommendations or policy revisions can be amended
- Amendments will be discussed in relation to the appropriate agenda item.
- Amendments that were submitted by the deadline will be discussed first.
- Presentation and discussion of amendments will follow the same procedures for speakers outlined above.
- Amendments require a separate vote and then the associated item will be voted on, as amended if any amendments are approved